Recently, if you haven't noticed, everybody got back from London almost 2 weeks ago. One out of the various things we did there was we had an option to go see a play called "The Woman in Black". Already that sounds a bit scary. Now this play was adapted from a book that I wish to read soon since their wasn't much time for reading on our trip, but I did read a few summaries online. Hopefully this great play is close enough to a book for you (Ms. Rear) and I think it is.
Anyway, "The Woman in Black" play is about a man who wants to put on a play on a horrifying and true, ghost story that happened in his life. I don't want to give too much away, but basically the man is haunted, and to give you a better picture, at the end of the play everyone in the theatre was either shrieking, crying, or like me, terrified to the point of loud guffaws. Back to the actual story, one of the things it made me think about was how you can never tell fully what someone's been through.
In the play, when the main character is introduced for the first time, he acts quite normal. Maybe a bit nervous and quiet, but overall you would have never guessed that he'd been through the horror you see later in the play. And now that I think about it, I judged him. And probably more than half the theatre judged him. I don't know about you, but I don't like being a "judger". But now I think, how can you not judge someone? It can be harmful, but we do it to people everyday. My question is, what does that say about ourselves?
In real life people make jokes about saying stuff like, "Hey, don't judge me, man." I don't think it's joke really. I mean, it's all fun and play, but what's funny about expecting someone is stupid just because they are homeless or because of race? I think calling someone stupid is one of the worst things you can do (if you're serious). Friends do it to each other all the time, I do it. But imagine somebody genuinely thinking your stupid. Now imagine somebody genuinely thinking your stupid because of your race.
I'm going to read the book as soon as I can get it from a library or something, but I think watching the adapted play was good enough for now. I'll do another response once I get the book.
No comments:
Post a Comment